Ask a Travel Expert


Louise Blazik

Are you considering a career in the travel and tourism industry? Do you have a particular question you would like to ask about working in the travel and tourism industry?

Please submit your question(s) to and we will be happy to answer it and post it on our next monthly newsletter. When emailing your questions, please provide your first name, and province/territory or state as this is the only personal information that will be shown on the Q & A.

Our Travel Expert, Louise Blazik Hon. D.H.M. CTM, CTDP (Certified Training and Development Professional) and member of CSTD and ASTD (Canadian and American Society for Training & Development), is a founder of Travel College Canada with over twenty-five years of experience of working in the travel and tourism industry.

Questions & Answers

Q: Ryan asked:

“I would like to start selling travel on the side; do I need some sort of registration or certificate? If so, how do I go about it?”

A: Louise answered:

Registration and certification varies by province and country. Since we do not know where or who you intend to “sell” travel on behalf of, for the purpose of answering your question we will default to Ontario law.

Travel Retailers (Travel Agencies) and Wholesalers (Tour Operators) who operate in Ontario must be registered as a business with TICO (Travel Industry Council of Ontario).

As of July 1, 2009 individuals who sell, counsel or provide travel advice to consumers on behalf of Ontario travel companies must be certified by TICO (Travel Industry Council of Ontario).

This is the law in Ontario, please visit or for more information.

For the individual who would like to work in the travel industry, we highly recommend the International Tourism Management diploma program at Travel College Canada. Travel agents are expected to be highly knowledgeable and professionally trained with both a college diploma and TICO certification.