About the Profession
Self-employment is the fastest growing career choice in the travel industry.
Imagine creating a rewarding, and profitable home based travel business, with your passion for travelling, love of working with people, and your travel industry training from Travel College Canada.
Those working in the travel industry from home, may be referred to as a Home Based-Travel Professional, or Travel Agent, or Independent Travel Adviser. The choice of title is yours.
Benefits of Working as a Home Based Travel Professional
We have worked with hundreds of Home Based Travel Professionals who have shared with us what they love most about being self employed, this includes:
- Being their own boss (hope you’re a good one!!)
- Choosing their own hours (especially those juggling family and other commitments)
- Opportunity to TRAVEL and visit destinations around the world which makes marketing & selling easier
- More control over income as this is based on sales. “The more you sell, the more you make” 😃
- Becoming as a Travel Specialist in particular area of travel or destination, selected country(s) or regions, etc. aligned with interests, and hobbies; this include specializing in a niche market e.g. destination weddings, adventure travel, wellness, spas, and yoga retreats
- Specialize in selling cruises to places around the world
Q & A:
Q: “I have gone through the Travel College Canada website, and noticed there are diploma and certificate programs. I am not sure which would be the best for me to take. I am planning to work from home, selling travel?”
A: There are two good distance education (home study) programs to consider:
1. International Tourism Management – This is a comprehensive Diploma Program, ideal for the individual with no previous training or work experience in the travel industry.
Program Content includes a blending of Travel and Tourism, and Business Management courses. This ensures the necessary knowledge, and skills are learnt on which to build a solid home business.
Travel consumers expect their Agent to be well trained, and knowledge, and know more about the travel industry than they do. This builds trust, and confidence when buying travel from the Agent.
Click here for full details
2. The second choice is our Home Based Travel Professional which is a Certificate program. Full details are provided below.
About the Program (Non-Vocational)
Our Home Based Travel Professional Program is ideal for new agents, and those who appreciate the value in skills upgrading. Build your knowledge – Build your business.
Knowledge delivered through the program increases one’s self-confidence, which results in higher sales and successful business.
Well-rounded course content has been carefully designed to include “must know” essentials for a Home Based Travel Professional.
Upon successful program completion, the student will learn, and understand the components, and responsibilities of the profession. The following courses are included:
- Overview of the Global Travel & Tourism Industry
- Travel Documentation E.g. Passports, Visas, Health; Entry, and Re-Entry Requirements
- Professional Selling Techniques
- Exceptional Customer Care
- Travel Insurance
- Vacation Packages – Organized Tours
- Vacation Packages – All Inclusive
- Cruise Line Industry
- Airline Industry, Fares and Booking Procedures
Program Delivery – Distance Education
The student studies independently from home, however may email, or call the college with any questions, or for assistance.
On average, allow about 160 hours to complete studies, research, Assignment, and Test. It is recommended the student dedicate 8 or more hours per week to finish within 20 weeks (5 months). If more time is needed, the student may email our office to request the program extension.
C$975.00 (tax deductible) includes Theory Notes, Assignment, Test, and Certificate upon successful completion.
This is a non-vocational program, so it is open to anyone with interest in learning, and developing skills and knowledge for this profession. As a Distance Education program, the student can live anywhere in the world.
How to Register
Step 1. Email: email@example.com and request both the Home Based Travel Professional Enrolment Contract, and secure banking instructions for the transfer of fees in full. Please ensure the bank follows transfer instructions
Step 2. When payment has been made, notify the college by email, and include a copy of your payment receipt, along with completed and signed Enrolment Contract, and supporting Admission documents as Attachments
Step 3. Once the college has received your email with Attachments, program materials including Program Introduction, Instructions, Theory notes, and Assignment will be emailed in pdf format.
Starting the Program
The student is encouraged to start their program immediately materials are received, and to do their best to complete the program within the specified time.
During the program, we welcome emails, or phone calls with any questions or for assistance as required. We endeavour to respond within 48 business hours.
The student must achieve an overall standing of 70% or higher, based on average grading from the Assignment and Test to pass the program.
Upon successful completion of the program, a certificate, and tax receipt is mailed within thirty days.